Saturday, July 16, 2011

Of land and weather and pink-on-white jackets

4:33 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time (12:33 a.m. Greenwich Mean Time)

" ... the game is always about the land."

I'll be up tomorrow at 3 a.m. (my time) to watch the whole damn thing, because it's Sunday at the Open Championship. Today, I let the DVR do the early shift, and I'm glad I did, because I never get tired of the telecast's opening segment, when the English guy (who? I keep wishing they'd say) gives voice to Royal St George's.

" ... I seized Nicklaus ... tormented Bjorn ... buried Woods ... proving the game is always about the land."

On a thorny links course like St. George's, it will be, yes, about the land, but today it was more about the roilings in the upper atmosphere that brought the weather down on the heads and umbrellas of player and spectator. Tomorrow looks like more of the same in Sandwich ... and bring it on.

Notes:
  • Tom Watson plays links courses as well as anyone, and he knows better than anyone that Open weather can be bad, worse even than today, and his game is sturdy against it. But today he looked, on 18, like an old guy who was very ready to get out of the piss and go get warm. I predict he'll show up for his tee time tomorrow.

  • The rain was unrelenting, and what it told me was that all the players have lots better rain gear than me. You had to like Ricky Fowler, rockin' the white jacket and pants with pink dot patterns. And how did his chip on No. 10 not go in? Half the ball was over the lip of the cup.

  • Rory McIlroy was the story, and properly so, before the tournament. His part in the narrative heading into the final day is a footnote ... but wait 'til it's over, and allow a couple days to tell the winner's story, and then the pundits will be back with the questions. Can the kid handle the pressure? I think yes, and maybe in 10 years or so, he'll be lucky enough to avoid all fire hyrdrants while backing out of his driveway on Thanksgiving night.

  • Darren Clarke: Good guy, nice game, due. Dustin Johnson: Good guy, nice game, cute girlfriend, bad luck, overdue.
" ... Imperial, but imperfect ... My beauty marks are your burdens ... I can be challenged, but will not be ruled ... You golf ... I govern."

Who is that guy?

No comments:

Post a Comment